Glutaraldehyde Fixative (2.5%, for electron microscopy)
The purpose of fixation is to preserve the original morphological structure of cells and tissues. Fixation agents can prevent the autolysis of endogenous lysosomal enzymes on their own tissues and cells, and inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi. Fixation agents change the internal structure of proteins by coagulation, formation of added compounds, and the like. Thereby inactivating the enzyme. The fixative physically alters the extracellular components of the cells.
Fixatives are mainly divided into aldehyde fixatives, mercury fixatives, alcohol fixatives, oxidant fixatives and picrate fixatives. Formalin in aldehydes and ethanol in alcohols are more commonly used. Glutaraldehyde fixative can cause the deformation of protein α-helix structure, which is not conducive to peroxidase staining. Glutaraldehyde fixative has a fast fixing speed and poor permeability.
How to use:
1. Operate according to the specific requirements of the experiment.
2. Take fresh specimens and fix them in glutaraldehyde fixative at 4 ℃ for 1 to 4 hours immediately. The fixation time of slightly larger specimens should be extended appropriately.
3. Submit for inspection or store at 4 ℃.
1. Glutaraldehyde fixative is corrosive to a certain extent. Please operate carefully in a well-ventilated environment to avoid inhalation.
2. The thickness of the tissue is different, and the fixation time is also different. The suitable thickness of conventional biopsy tissue is 2 to 4 mm, generally not more than 6 mm. Proper selection of tissues is beneficial to the penetration of fixative.
3. The volume of the fixative should be sufficient. Generally, the volume ratio of the fixative to the tissue block should be greater than 10:1. If the volume is not large enough, the fixing solution can be changed 1 to 3 times during the fixing period.
4. The effect of temperature on fixation is obvious. Increasing the temperature can accelerate the fixation, but it is better not to increase the temperature of this fixative.
5. After the fresh tissue is taken out, it should be fixed in time. If it cannot be fixed in time, it should be stored in normal saline and sent for examination in time.
6. For your safety and health, please wear lab coats and disposable gloves for operation.